- Rebeca Gema Jimeno
- Ana María Roncero
- José Luis Ruiz
The Breast Cancer Clinical Research Unit (BCCRU) focuses on the translational interface of therapeutic development. Breast cancer is a heterogeneous disease, and thus, there are large inter-patient variations in terms of disease course, prognosis, relapse and resistance to conventional or targeted therapeutics.
Our activities are directed towards personalised treatment and range from preclinical models to correlative studies and clinical trials. Specifically, our research areas cover the:
- Study of the mechanisms of resistance against CDK inhibitors.
- Characterisation of aberrant signalling axes in triple-negative breast cancer.
- Role of FGFR1 in cancer progression and therapeutic resistance in hormone-positive cancer.
- Study of the implications of hypoxia in response to immunotherapy.
- (2021). -Gingerol-Derived Semi-Synthetic Compound SSi6 Inhibits Tumor Growth and Metastatic Dissemination in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Xenograft Models. Cancers 13, 2855. CNIO Publication.
- (2021). Glutamine-Directed Migration of Cancer-Activated Fibroblasts Facilitates Epithelial Tumor Invasion. Cancer Res 81, 438-451. CNIO Publication.
- (2021). Monitoring vascular normalization: new opportunities for mitochondrial inhibitors in breast cancer. Oncoscience 8, 1-13. CNIO Publication.
- (2021). Mitochondrial Inhibition: a Treatment Strategy in Cancer?. Curr Oncol Rep 23, 49. CNIO Publication.
- (2021). FGFR1 amplification or overexpression and hormonal resistance in luminal breast cancer: rationale for a triple blockade of ER, CDK4/6, and FGFR1. Breast Cancer Res 23, 21. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). When should we order a next generation sequencing test in a patient with cancer?. EClinicalMedicine 25, 100487. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). Randomized Phase 0/I Trial of the Mitochondrial Inhibitor ME-344 or Placebo Added to Bevacizumab in Early HER2-Negative Breast Cancer.. Clin Cancer Res 26, 35-45. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Membrane disruption, but not metabolic rewiring, is the key mechanism of anticancer-action of FASN-inhibitors: a multi-omics analysis in ovarian cancer. Sci Rep 10, 14877. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). Coordinated signals from PARP-1 and PARP-2 are required to establish a proper T cell immune response to breast tumors in mice. Oncogene 39, 2835-2843. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Immuno-priming durvalumab with bevacizumab in HER2-negative advanced breast cancer: a pilot clinical trial. Breast Cancer Res 22, 124. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). Long telomeres: A new prognostic factor for severity in triple-negative breast cancer patients. J Transl Sci (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Essentiality of fatty acid synthase in the 2D to anchorage-independent growth transition in transforming cells.. Nat Commun 10, 5011. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). MEK inhibition enhances the response to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in acute myeloid leukemia. Sci Rep 9, 18630. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2018). In vivo phosphoproteomics reveals kinase activity profiles that predict treatment outcome in triple-negative breast cancer. Nat Commun 9, 3501. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2018). Therapeutic relevance of the PP2A-B55 inhibitory kinase MASTL/Greatwall in breast cancer. Cell Death Differ 25, 828-840. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). 18F-fluoromisonidazole PET and activity of neoadjuvant nintedanib in early HER2-negative breast cancer: a window-of-opportunity randomized trial.. Clin Cancer Res 23, 1432-1441. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Álvarez-Fernández M, Sanz-Flores M, Sanz-Castillo B, Salazar-Roa M, Partida D, Zapatero-Solana E, Ali HR, Manchado E, Lowe S, VanArsdale T, Shields D, Caldas C, Quintela-Fandino M, Malumbres M.. Cell Death Differ (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Stem cell-like transcriptional reprogramming mediates metastatic resistance to mTOR inhibition.. Oncogene 36, 2737-2749. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Personalising and targeting antiangiogenic resistance: a complex and multifactorial approach.. Br J Cancer 116, 1119-1125. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Critically short telomeres and toxicity of chemotherapy in early breast cancer. Oncotarget 8, 21472-21842. CNIO Publication.