- Rebeca Gema Jimeno
- Sara Fernández
- José Luis Ruiz
The Breast Cancer Clinical Research Unit (BCCRU) focuses on the translational interface of therapeutic development. Breast cancer is a heterogeneous disease, and thus, there are large inter-patient variations in terms of disease course, prognosis, relapse and resistance to conventional or targeted therapeutics. Our activities are directed towards personalised treatment, and range from preclinical models to the sponsoring of multicentric clinical trials. Specifically, our research areas are:
- Discovery of new targets for breast cancer prevention.
- Breast cancer functional taxonomy: by using a systems biology approach, we are clustering the disease into subtypes defined by biologic features that constitute therapeutic targets.
- Study of the mechanisms of resistance against targeted therapies.
- (2018). In vivo phosphoproteomics reveals kinase activity profiles that predict treatment outcome in triple-negative breast cancer. Nat Commun 9, 3501.
- (2018). Therapeutic relevance of the PP2A-B55 inhibitory kinase MASTL/Greatwall in breast cancer. Cell Death Differ 25, 828-840.
- (2017). 18F-fluoromisonidazole PET and activity of neoadjuvant nintedanib in early HER2-negative breast cancer: a window-of-opportunity randomized trial.. Clin Cancer Res 23, 1432-1441.
- (2017). Álvarez-Fernández M, Sanz-Flores M, Sanz-Castillo B, Salazar-Roa M, Partida D, Zapatero-Solana E, Ali HR, Manchado E, Lowe S, VanArsdale T, Shields D, Caldas C, Quintela-Fandino M, Malumbres M.. Cell Death Differ (in press).
- (2017). Stem cell-like transcriptional reprogramming mediates metastatic resistance to mTOR inhibition.. Oncogene 36, 2737-2749.
- (2017). Personalising and targeting antiangiogenic resistance: a complex and multifactorial approach.. Br J Cancer 116, 1119-1125.
- (2017). Critically short telomeres and toxicity of chemotherapy in early breast cancer. Oncotarget 8, 21472-21842.
- (2016). Stem cell-like transcriptional reprogramming mediates metastatic resistance to mTOR inhibition.. Oncogene (in press).
- (2016). Monitoring vascular normalization induced by antiangiogenic treatment with (18)F-fluoromisonidazole-PET.. Mol Oncol 10, 1704-1718.
- (2016). Analysis of Paired Primary-Metastatic Hormone-Receptor Positive Breast Tumors (HRPBC) Uncovers Potential Novel Drivers of Hormonal Resistance.. PLoS ONE 11, e0155840.
- (2016). Antiangiogenics and hypoxic response: Role of fatty acid synthase inhibitors.. Curr Drug Targets 17, 1735-1746.
- (2016). Revisiting the revolution: examining the evolving role of antiangiogenic therapy in cancer.. Curr Drug Targets 17, 1706.
- (2016). Antiangiogenic resistance and cancer metabolism: opportunities for synthetic lethality.. Curr Drug Targets 17, 1714-1727.
- (2016). Targeting Tumor Mitochondrial Metabolism Overcomes Resistance to Antiangiogenics.. Cell Reports 15, 2705-2718.
- (2015). Recommendations for standardized pathological characterization of residual disease for neoadjuvant clinical trials of breast cancer by the BIG-NABCG collaboration.. Ann Oncol 26, 1280-1291.
- (2015). Standardization of pathologic evaluation and reporting of postneoadjuvant specimens in clinical trials of breast cancer: recommendations from an international working group.. Mod Pathol 28, 1185-1201.
- (2014). Selective activity over a constitutively active RET-variant of the oral multikinase inhibitor dovitinib: Results of the CNIO-BR002 phase I-trial.. Mol Oncol 8, 1719-1728.
- (2014). Phase I clinical trial of nintedanib plus paclitaxel in early HER-2-negative breast cancer (CNIO-BR-01-2010/GEICAM-2010-10 study).. Br J Cancer 111, 1060-1064.
- (2013). CX3CL1 Promotes Breast Cancer via Transactivation of the EGF Pathway.. Cancer Res 73, 4461-4473.
- (2013). In vivo RAF signal transduction as a potential biomarker for sorafenib efficacy in patients with neuroendocrine tumours.. Br J Cancer 108, 1298-1305.
- (2013). Usefulness of the PERFORM questionnaire to measure fatigue in cancer patients with anemia: a prospective, observational study.. Support Care Cancer 21, 3039-3049.
- (2013). Dovitinib lactate.. Drug Future 38, 81-89.