- Rebeca Gema Jimeno
- Sara Fernández
- José Luis Ruiz
The Breast Cancer Clinical Research Unit (BCCRU) focuses on the translational interface of therapeutic development. Breast cancer is a heterogeneous disease, and thus, there are large inter-patient variations in terms of disease course, prognosis, relapse and resistance to conventional or targeted therapeutics. Our activities are directed towards personalised treatment, and range from preclinical models to the sponsoring of multicentric clinical trials. Specifically, our research areas are:
- Discovery of new targets for breast cancer prevention.
- Breast cancer functional taxonomy: by using a systems biology approach, we are clustering the disease into subtypes defined by biologic features that constitute therapeutic targets.
- Study of the mechanisms of resistance against targeted therapies.
- (2019). Randomized Phase 0/I Trial of the Mitochondrial Inhibitor ME-344 or Placebo Added to Bevacizumab in Early HER2-Negative Breast Cancer.. Clin Cancer Res (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Essentiality of fatty acid synthase in the 2D to anchorage-independent growth transition in transforming cells.. Nat Commun 10, 5011. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). In vivo phosphoproteomics reveals kinase activity profiles that predict treatment outcome in triple-negative breast cancer. Nat Commun 9, 3501. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2018). Therapeutic relevance of the PP2A-B55 inhibitory kinase MASTL/Greatwall in breast cancer. Cell Death Differ 25, 828-840. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). 18F-fluoromisonidazole PET and activity of neoadjuvant nintedanib in early HER2-negative breast cancer: a window-of-opportunity randomized trial.. Clin Cancer Res 23, 1432-1441. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Álvarez-Fernández M, Sanz-Flores M, Sanz-Castillo B, Salazar-Roa M, Partida D, Zapatero-Solana E, Ali HR, Manchado E, Lowe S, VanArsdale T, Shields D, Caldas C, Quintela-Fandino M, Malumbres M.. Cell Death Differ (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Stem cell-like transcriptional reprogramming mediates metastatic resistance to mTOR inhibition.. Oncogene 36, 2737-2749. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Personalising and targeting antiangiogenic resistance: a complex and multifactorial approach.. Br J Cancer 116, 1119-1125. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Critically short telomeres and toxicity of chemotherapy in early breast cancer. Oncotarget 8, 21472-21842. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Stem cell-like transcriptional reprogramming mediates metastatic resistance to mTOR inhibition.. Oncogene (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Monitoring vascular normalization induced by antiangiogenic treatment with (18)F-fluoromisonidazole-PET. Mol Oncol 10, 1704-1718. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2016). Analysis of Paired Primary-Metastatic Hormone-Receptor Positive Breast Tumors (HRPBC) Uncovers Potential Novel Drivers of Hormonal Resistance.. PLoS ONE 11, e0155840. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Antiangiogenics and hypoxic response: Role of fatty acid synthase inhibitors.. Curr Drug Targets 17, 1735-1746. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Revisiting the revolution: examining the evolving role of antiangiogenic therapy in cancer.. Curr Drug Targets 17, 1706. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Antiangiogenic resistance and cancer metabolism: opportunities for synthetic lethality.. Curr Drug Targets 17, 1714-1727. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Targeting Tumor Mitochondrial Metabolism Overcomes Resistance to Antiangiogenics. Cell Reports 15, 2705-2718. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2015). Recommendations for standardized pathological characterization of residual disease for neoadjuvant clinical trials of breast cancer by the BIG-NABCG collaboration.. Ann Oncol 26, 1280-1291. CNIO Publication.
- (2015). Standardization of pathologic evaluation and reporting of postneoadjuvant specimens in clinical trials of breast cancer: recommendations from an international working group.. Mod Pathol 28, 1185-1201. CNIO Publication.