- Carlos Gómez
- Israel Salguero
- Jonathan Barroso
- Laura García
- Alicia Avis
- Ernesto López
- María del Mar Martínez
- Marta Muñoz
- José Terrón
DNA topoisomerases have a dual relationship with the genome. They are essential to solving the topological problems inherent to all DNA transactions, but their intrinsic mechanism of action can result in the formation of DNA breaks, either accidentally during normal cellular metabolism or upon chemotherapy treatment with the so-called topoisomerase poisons. Imbalances in DNA topoisomerase activity can therefore compromise cell survival and genome integrity, entailing serious consequences for human health, such as developmental and degenerative problems and, very importantly, neoplastic transformation processes and their subsequent response to treatment.
We are interested in understanding: (i) how DNA topoisomerase activity is regulated to integrate different aspects of genome dynamics; (ii) how an imbalance in these processes can lead to the appearance of pathological DNA breaks; and (iii) how cells specifically respond to these lesions to maintain genome stability.
- (2020). Endogenous topoisomerase II-mediated DNA breaks drive thymic cancer predisposition linked to ATM deficiency. Nat Commun 11, 910. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). Ubiquitin Stimulated Reversal of Topoisomerase 2 DNA-protein Crosslinks by TDP2. Nucleic Acids Res 48, 6310-6325. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). RanBP2-Mediated SUMOylation Promotes Human DNA Polymerase Lambda Nuclear Localization and DNA Repair. J Mol Biol 432, 3965-3979. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). An end to a means”: how DNA-end structure shapes the double-strand break repair process”. Front Mol Biosci 6, 153. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). A genetic map of the response to DNA damage in human cells. Cell 182, 481-496. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). TDP2 suppresses genomic instability induced by androgens in the epithelial cells of prostate glands. Genes Cells 25, 450-465. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). GSE4 peptide suppresses oxidative and telomere deficiencies in ataxia telangiectasia patient cells. Cell Death Differ 26, 1998-2014. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). ZATT (ZNF451)-mediated resolution of topoisomerase 2 DNA-protein cross-links.. Science 357, 1412-1416. Publication in other institutions.
- (2017). Chd7 is indispensable for mammalian brain development through activation of a neuronal differentiation programme. Nat Commun 8, 14758. Publication in other institutions.
- (2017). Regulation of human pol? by ATM-mediated phosphorylation during non-homologous end joining.. Dna Repair 51, 31-45. Publication in other institutions.