- Albert Harguindey
- Eunjeong Kim
- María Inmaculada Berbel
- Sergio De la Rosa
- Rosa Gallo
- Irene Herranz
- María del Mar Rigual
- Paula Sánchez
- Karla Santos
Our laboratory focuses on understanding mechanisms of diseases associated to the digestive system, including liver, intestine and pancreas. Our work aims to integrate mouse models mimicking human disease with state-of-the-art genomics, proteomics, bioinformatics, metabolic pathways and gut microbiome analyses, and therapeutic technologies combined with human data, to: find out what goes wrong in diseased and cancerous tissues; understand how organs can regenerate; and, if regeneration goes awry, to determine how it contributes to cancer.
We put a special emphasis on studying the mechanobiology of tissue development in a health and disease context, from the physical and mechanical perspective at the molecular, cellular, and tissue levels, with the eventual goal to understand how an injured liver progresses to a cancerous tissue, in order to find new therapeutic targets. Additionally, the application of mathematical models to quantitatively study and analyse mechanical forces and cellular plasticity is an important focus in collaboration with other research groups. Finally, the use of nanotechnology combined with in vivo disease models generated in our laboratory might provide additional opportunities to complement our work and impact the field of medicine in diagnosis and treatment.
- (2021). When dormancy fuels tumour relapse.. Commun Biol 4, 747. CNIO Publication.
- (2021). NASH limits anti-tumour surveillance in immunotherapy-treated HCC. Nature 592, 450-456. CNIO Publication.
- (2021). Inhibition of the IL-17A axis in adipocytes suppresses diet-induced obesity and metabolic disorders in mice. Nat Metabolism 3, 496-512. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Interleukin-17A Serves a Priming Role in Autoimmunity by Recruiting IL-1ß-Producing Myeloid Cells that Promote Pathogenic T Cells. Immunity 52, 342-356. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Cirrhosis: A Questioned Risk Factor for Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Trends in Cancer 7, 29-36. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Coxsackievirus B Type 4 Infection in ß Cells Downregulates the Chaperone Prefoldin URI to Induce a MODY4-like Diabetes via Pdx1 Silencing. Cell Rep Med 1, 100125. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Diet, Microbiota, and Colorectal Cancer. iScience 21, 168-187. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). URI is required to maintain intestinal architecture during ionizing radiation.. Science 364, pii: eaaq1165. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Platelet GPIba is a mediator and potential interventional target for NASH and subsequent liver cancer. Nat Med 25, 641-655. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). mTORC1 inactivation promotes colitis-induced colorectal cancer. Cell Metab 27, 118-135. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Myeloid p38a signaling promotes intestinal IGF-1 production and inflammation-associated tumorigenesis. EMBO Mol Med 10, e8403. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2017). Hepatocellular Carcinomas Originate Predominantly from Hepatocytes and Benign Lesions from Hepatic Progenitor Cells. Cell Reports 19, 584-600. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). NAD+ deficits in age-related diseases and cancer.. Trends in Cancer 3, 593-610. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Nicotinamide riboside or IL-17A signaling blockers to prevent liver disorders. Oncoscience 4, 1-2. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Regulation of OGT by URI in Response to Glucose Confers c-MYC-Dependent Survival Mechanisms.. Cancer Cell 30, 290-307. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Metabolic Inflammation-Associated IL-17A Causes Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis and Hepatocellular Carcinoma.. Cancer Cell 30, 161-175. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Adaptive survival mechanism to glucose restrictions.. Oncoscience 3, 302-303. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Transport to Rhebpress activity.. SMALL GTPASES 7, 12-15. CNIO Publication.