Proteomics is acquiring a critical role in the comprehensive understanding of human biology. The fast development in mass spectrometry-based proteomics instrumentation and data analysis pipelines has helped the scientific community to dig (even) deeper into the proteome. In the last decade, the main output of differential proteomics studies has evolved from long lists of proteins to the generation of new hypotheses, allowing proteomics to become functional. For example, cancer proteomics has unravelled key data in mechanistic studies on tumour growth and metastasis, contributing to the identification of clinical biomarkers and novel therapeutic targets. Several cancer proteome databases have been established and are being shared worldwide. The CNIO Proteomics Core Unit develops and applies state-of-the-art proteomics, informatics, and related technologies, for direct interrogation of protein expression, modification, and function in cell-based models of human cancer. We aim to provide valuable guidance for experimental strategies, which are critical for cancer research success.
- Fernando García
- Laura Cynthia Woods
- Maria Pilar Ximénez de Embún
- Eduardo Zarzuela
- (2023). Peroxiredoxin 2 is required for the redox mediated adaptation to exercise. Redox Biol 60, 102631. CNIO Publication.
- (2022). Unravelling the complexity of the extracellular vesicle landscape with advanced proteomics. Expert Rev Proteomic 19, 89-101. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Midkine rewires the melanoma microenvironment toward a tolerogenic and immune-resistant state. Nat Med 26, 1865-1877. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Global hyperactivation of enhancers stabilizes human and mouse naive pluripotency through inhibition of CDK8/19 Mediator kinases. Nat Cell Biol 22, 1223-1238. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Frequent mutations in the amino-terminal domain of BCL7A impair its tumor suppressor role in DLBCL.. Leukemia 34, 2722-2735. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Induction of Lysosome Membrane Permeabilization as a Therapeutic Strategy to Target Pancreatic Cancer Stem Cells. Cancers 12, 1790. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). Atherosclerotic pre-conditioning affects the paracrine role of circulating angiogenic cells ex-vivo.. Int J Mol Sci 21, 5256. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Platelet factor 4 is a biomarker for lymphatic-promoted disorders.. JCI Insight 5, e135109. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). p62/SQSTM1 Fuels Melanoma Progression by Opposing mRNA Decay of a Selective Set of Pro-metastatic Factors.. Cancer Cell 35, 46-63. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). p62/SQSTM1 Fuels Melanoma Progression by Opposing mRNA Decay of a Selective Set of Pro-metastatic Factors. Cancer Cell 35, 46-63. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Use of extracellular vesicles from lymphatic drainage as surrogate markers of melanoma progression and BRAF V600E mutation. J Exp Med 216, 1061-1070. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Fra-2-expressing macrophages promote lung fibrosis in mice. J Clin Invest 129, 3293-3309. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Small Extracellular Vesicles Are Key Regulators of Non-cell Autonomous Intercellular Communication in Senescence via the Interferon Protein IFITM3.. Cell Reports 27, 3956-3971. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). Evolution of Yin and Yang isoforms of a chromatin remodeling subunit precedes the creation of two genes.. Elife 8, e48119. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). Hsa-miR-139-5p is a prognostic thyroid cancer marker involved in HNRNPF-mediated alternative splicing.. Int J Cancer 146, 521-530. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Proteotyping pluripotency with mass spectrometry. Expert Rev Proteomic 16, 391-400. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). STAT3 labels a subpopulation of reactive astrocytes required for brain metastasis. Nat Med 24, 1024-1035. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Thrombocytopenia-associated mutations in Ser/Thr kinase MASTL deregulate actin cytoskeleton dynamics in platelets. J Clin Invest 128, 5351-5367. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2018). In vivo phosphoproteomics reveals kinase activity profiles that predict treatment outcome in triple-negative breast cancer. Nat Commun 9, 3501. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2018). The RNA Polymerase II Factor RPAP1 Is Critical for Mediator-Driven Transcription and Cell Identity. Cell Reports 22, 396-410. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2018). In-Depth Proteomic Characterization of Classical and Non-Classical Monocyte Subsets. Proteomes 6, E8. CNIO Publication. Open Access