- María Teresa Agullo
- Irene Ferrer
- Rocio García
- Eva María Garrido
- Santiago Ponce
- María del Carmen Riesco
- María Teresa Muñoz
- Juan Manuel Coya
- Beatriz Soldevilla
- Carlos Carretero
- Santiago García
- Ángela María Marrugal
- Ángel Núñez
- Laura Ojeda
- Javier Ramos
- Beatriz Rubio
- Patricia Yagüe
- María Cristina Cirauqui
- Patricia Cozar
- Mirella Gallego
- Laura García
- Beatriz Gil
- Alicia Luengo
- Lorena Ruiz
- Rocío Suárez
Lung cancer is the most frequent cause of cancer-related deaths worldwide. Our Unit is dedicated to the study of lung cancer, combining basic research studies with other more clinically oriented research studies, closer to solving the problems of lung cancer patients. The two main research areas of our Unit include: the identification of new molecular biomarkers that can be used in the clinic for diagnostic, prognostic and predictive purposes; and the development of novel treatment strategies that include targeted therapies and immunotherapeutics. For example, we have elucidated the molecular determinants of the oncogenicity of FGFRs, and have discovered biomarkers to monitor the efficacy of FGFR inhibitors in lung cancer. On the other hand, we have developed a patient-derived xenograft (PDX) platform of non-small-cell lung cancers to test new therapeutic strategies. Finally, our Unit has extensive experience in bringing new drugs to the clinic (phase I trials), as well as in conducting practice-changing phase II/III trials in the fields of precision oncology and immuno-oncology.
- Biomarker analysis beyond angiogenesis: RAS/RAF mutation status, tumour sidedness, and second-line ramucirumab efficacy in patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma from RAISE, a global phase 3 study.(2019)
Ann Oncol 30, 124-131.
- Unmet needs in high-grade gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms (WHO G3)(2019)
Neuroendocrinology 108, 54-62.
- TGFß receptor inhibitor galunisertib is linked to inflammation- and remodeling-related proteins in patients with pancreatic cancer(2019)
Cancer Chemoth Pharm (in press).
- Ultra-selection of metastatic colorectal cancer patients using next-generation sequencing to improve clinical efficacy of anti-EGFR therapy(2019)
Ann Oncol 30, 439-446.
- Biomarker analysis beyond angiogenesis: RAS/RAF mutation status, tumour sidedness, and second-line ramucirumab efficacy in patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma from RAISE-a global phase III study(2019)
Ann Oncol 30, 124-131.
- Clinical utility of plasma-based digital next-generation sequencing in patients with advance-stage lung adenocarcinomas with insufficient tumor samples for tissue genotyping(2019)
Ann Oncol 30, 290-296.
- FGFR1 Cooperates with EGFR in Lung Cancer Oncogenesis, and Their Combined Inhibition Shows Improved Efficacy(2019)
J Thorac Oncol 14, 641-655.
- HER2-targeted therapy: an emerging strategy in advanced colorectal cancer(2019)
Expert Opin Inv Drug 28, 29-38.
- Economics of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: a systematic review(2019)
Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab (in press).
- Position of a panel of international lung cancer experts on the approval decision for use of durvalumab in stage III non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) by the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP)(2019)
Ann Oncol 30, 161-165.
- Randomised phase 2 study of pembrolizumab plus CC-486 versus pembrolizumab plus placebo in patients with previously treated advanced non-small cell lung cancer(2019)
Eur J Cancer 108, 120-128.
- First-line afatinib vs gefitinib for patients with EGFR mutation-positive NSCLC (LUX-Lung 7): impact of afatinib dose adjustment and analysis of mode of initial progression for patients who continued treatment beyond progression(2019)
J Cancer Res Clin (in press).
- Necitumumab for the treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer(2019)
Future Oncol 15, 705-716.
- Defining aggressive or early progressing nononcogene-addicted non-small-cell lung cancer: a separate disease entity?(2019)
Future Oncol (in press).
- SEOM clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of gastroenteropancreatic and bronchial neuroendocrine neoplasms (NENs) (2018)(2019)
Clin Transl Oncol 21, 55-63.
- Recent Therapeutic Advances and Change in Treatment Paradigm of Patients with Merkel Cell Carcinoma(2019)
Oncologist (in press).
- Prognostic and predictive biomarkers for somatostatin analogs, peptide receptor radionuclide therapy and serotonin pathway targets in neuroendocrine tumours(2018)
Cancer Treat Rev 70, 209-222.
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in lung cancer with a high tumor mutational burden(2018)
New Engl J Med 378, 2093-2104.
- Pembrolizumab plus Chemotherapy for Squamous Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer(2018)
New Engl J Med 379, 2342-2350.
- Predictive biomarkers for response to EGFR-directed monoclonal antibodies for advanced squamous cell lung cancer(2018)
Ann Oncol 29, 1701-1709.
- Dynamic molecular analysis and clinical correlates of tumor evolution within a phase II trial of panitumumab-based therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer(2018)
Ann Oncol 29, 119-126.
- Analysis of angiogenesis biomarkers for ramucirumab efficacy in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer from RAISE, a global, randomized, double-blind, phase III study(2018)
Ann Oncol 29, 602-609.
- Mechanisms of acquired resistance to first- and second-generation EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors(2018)
Ann Oncol 29, i10-i19.
- Incidence, predictors and prognostic significance of thromboembolic disease in patients with advanced ALK-rearranged non-small cell lung cancer(2018)
Eur Respir J 51, 1702431-.
- Current and Emergent Therapy Options for Advanced Squamous Cell Lung Cancer(2018)
J Thorac Oncol 13, 165-183.
- bemaciclib in Combination with Single-Agent Options in Patients with Stage IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Phase Ib Study.(2018)
Clin Cancer Res 24, 5543-5551.
- MAP17 predicts sensitivity to platinum-based therapy, EGFR inhibitors and the proteasome inhibitor bortezomib in lung adenocarcinoma(2018)
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 37, 195-.
- Galunisertib plus gemcitabine vs. gemcitabine for first-line treatment of patients with unresectable pancreatic cancer(2018)
Br J Cancer 119, 1208-1214.
- Telotristat ethyl in carcinoid syndrome: safety and efficacy in the TELECAST phase 3 trial(2018)
Endocr-Relat Cancer 25, 309-322.
- Neuroendocrine Tumor Heterogeneity Adds Uncertainty to the World Health Organization 2010 Classification: Real-World Data from the Spanish Tumor Registry (R-GETNE)(2018)
Oncologist 23, 422-432.
- Histology-dependent prognostic role of pERK and p53 protein levels in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer(2018)
Oncotarget 9, 19945-19960.
- ABOUND.2L+: A randomized phase 2 study of nanoparticle albumin-bound paclitaxel with or without CC-486 as second-line treatment for advanced nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)(2018)
Cancer 124, 4667-4675.
- Targeting EGFR in Lung Cancer: Current Standards and Developments(2018)
Drugs 78, 893-911.
- Efficacy and Safety of Necitumumab Continuation Therapy in the Phase III SQUIRE Study of Patients With Stage IV Squamous Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer(2018)
Clin Lung Cancer 19, 130-138.
- Molecular and Immune Biomarker Testing in Squamous-Cell Lung Cancer: Effect of Current and Future Therapies and Technologies(2018)
Clin Lung Cancer 19, 331-339.
- Molecular and Immune Biomarker Testing in Squamous-Cell Lung Cancer: Effect of Current and Future Therapies and Technologies.(2018)
Clin Lung Cancer (in press).
- Randomized, Double-Blind Phase Ib/III Study of Erlotinib With Ramucirumab or Placebo in Previously Untreated EGFR-Mutant Metastatic Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer (RELAY): Phase Ib Results(2018)
Clin Lung Cancer 19, 213-220.
- Afatinib as First-line Treatment of Older Patients With EGFR Mutation-Positive Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Subgroup Analyses of the LUX-Lung 3, LUX-Lung 6, and LUX-Lung 7 Trials(2018)
Clin Lung Cancer 19, e465-e479.
- Prospective Clinical Integration of an Amplicon-Based Next-Generation Sequencing Method to Select Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients for Genotype-Tailored Treatments(2018)
Clin Lung Cancer 19, 65-73.
- The FGFR4-388arg Variant Promotes Lung Cancer Progression by N-Cadherin Induction(2018)
Sci Rep 8, 2394-.
- Aligning digital CD8+ scoring and targeted next-generation sequencing with programmed death ligand 1 expression: a pragmatic approach in early-stage squamous cell lung carcinoma(2018)
Histopathology 72, 270-284.
- Necitumumab: a new option for first-line treatment of squamous cell lung cancer(2018)
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 14, 765-772.
- Venous thromboembolism with EGFR monoclonal antibody necitumumab in stage IV non-small cell lung cancer: A retrospective cohort analysis(2018)
Thromb Res 167, 50-56.
- Papain-treated panels are a simple method for the identification of alloantibodies in multiple myeloma patients treated with anti-CD38-based therapies(2018)
Transfusion Med (in press).
- Overall survival with durvalumab after chemoradiotherapy in stage III NSCLC(2018)
New Engl J Med 379, 2342-2350.
- Abemaciclib in combination with single-agent options in patients with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer: a phase Ib study(2018)
Clin Cancer Res 24, 5543-5551.
- KRAS-mutant non-small cell lung cancer: from biology to therapy(2018)
Lung Cancer-J Iaslc 124, 53-64.
- Second-line treatment options in non-small-cell lung cancer: report from an international experts panel meeting of the Italian association of thoracic oncology(2018)
Clin Lung Cancer 19, 301-314.
- Early career members at the ERS lung science conference: cell-matrix interactions in lung disease and regeneration: early career forum(2018)
Breathe 14, e78-e83.
- Durvalumab after Chemoradiotherapy in Stage III Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer(2017)
New Engl J Med 377, 1919-1929.
- First-Line Nivolumab in Stage IV or Recurrent Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer.(2017)
New Engl J Med 376, 2415-2426.
- Lung cancer: current therapies and new targeted treatments.(2017)
Lancet 389, 299-311.
- First-line ceritinib versus platinum-based chemotherapy in advanced ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer (ASCEND-4): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 study.(2017)
Lancet 389, 917-929.
- Phase II Trial of Atezolizumab As First-Line or Subsequent Therapy for Patients With Programmed Death-Ligand 1-Selected Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer (BIRCH)(2017)
J Clin Oncol 35, 2781-2789.
- Results From the Phase III Randomized Trial of Onartuzumab Plus Erlotinib Versus Erlotinib in Previously Treated Stage IIIB or IV Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: METLung.(2017)
J Clin Oncol 35, 412-420.
- Afatinib versus gefitinib in patients with EGFR mutation-positive advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: overall survival data from the phase IIb LUX-Lung 7 trial.(2017)
Ann Oncol 28, 270-277.
- Dynamic Molecular Analysis and Clinical Correlates of Tumor Evolution Within a Phase 2 Trial of Panitumumab-Based Therapy in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer.(2017)
Ann Oncol (in press).
- Biological therapies in nonsmall cell lung cancer.(2017)
Eur Respir J 49, 1601520-.
- Safety and efficacy of nintedanib for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer.(2017)
Expert Opin Inv Drug 26, 1295-1305.
- A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Phase 1b/2 Study of Rilotumumab or Ganitumab in Combination With Platinum-Based Chemotherapy as First-Line Treatment for Extensive-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer.(2017)
Clin Lung Cancer 18, 615-625.
- Prognostic Role of the FGFR4-388Arg Variant in Lung Squamous-Cell Carcinoma Patients With Lymph Node Involvement.(2017)
Clin Lung Cancer 18, 667-674.
- Phase 1/2 Study of the CD56-Targeting Antibody-Drug Conjugate Lorvotuzumab Mertansine (IMGN901) in Combination With Carboplatin/Etoposide in Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients With Extensive-Stage Disease.(2017)
Clin Lung Cancer 18, 68-72.
- Meta-analysis examining impact of age on overall survival with pemetrexed for the treatment of advanced non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer.(2017)
Lung Cancer-J Iaslc 104, 45-51.
- A randomized, phase 2 evaluation of the CHK1 inhibitor, LY2603618, administered in combination with pemetrexed and cisplatin in patients with advanced nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer(2017)
Lung Cancer-J Iaslc 108, 212-216.
- Prognostic relevance of Src activation in stage II-III colon cancer.(2017)
Hum Pathol 67, 119-125.
- Proxies of quality of life in metastatic colorectal cancer: analyses in the RECOURSE trial.(2017)
ESMO OPEN 2, e000261-.
- The NER-related gene GTF2H5 predicts survival in high-grade serous ovarian cancer patients.(2016)
JOURNAL OF GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY 27, E7-.
- Afatinib versus gefitinib as first-line treatment of patients with EGFR mutation-positive non-small-cell lung cancer (LUX-Lung 7): a phase 2B, open-label, randomised controlled trial.(2016)
Lancet Oncol 17, 577-589.
- Osimertinib in EGFR-mutant NSCLC: how to select patients and when to treat.(2016)
Lancet Oncol 17, 1622-1623.
- Correlation of EGFR-expression with safety and efficacy outcomes in SQUIRE: a randomized, multicenter, open-label, phase III study of gemcitabine-cisplatin plus necitumumab versus gemcitabine-cisplatin alone in the first-line treatment of patients with stage IV squamous non-small-cell lung cancer.(2016)
Ann Oncol 27, 1573-1579.
- Dacomitinib versus erlotinib in patients with EGFR-mutated advanced nonsmall-cell lung cancer (NSCLC): pooled subset analyses from two randomized trials.(2016)
Ann Oncol 27, 1363-.
- Impact of DLK1-DIO3 imprinted cluster hypomethylation in smoker patients with lung cancer.(2016)
Oncotarget 9, 4395-4410.
- Analysis of the immune microenvironment in resected non-small cell lung cancer: the prognostic value of different T lymphocyte markers.(2016)
Oncotarget 7, 52849-52861.
- Current Challenges in Cancer Treatment.(2016)
Clin Ther 38, 1551-1566.
- Proteomic-Based Approaches for the Study of Cytokines in Lung Cancer.(2016)
Dis Markers 2016, 2138627-.
- Tyrosine Kinase Receptor Landscape in Lung Cancer: Therapeutical Implications.(2016)
Dis Markers 2016, 9214056-.
- Nivolumab versus Docetaxel in Advanced Squamous-Cell Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer.(2015)
New Engl J Med 373, 123-135.
- Necitumumab plus pemetrexed and cisplatin as first-line therapy in patients with stage IV non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (INSPIRE): an open-label, randomised, controlled phase 3 study.(2015)
Lancet Oncol 16, 328-337.
- Necitumumab plus gemcitabine and cisplatin versus gemcitabine and cisplatin alone as first-line therapy in patients with stage IV squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (SQUIRE): an open-label, randomised, controlled phase 3 trial.(2015)
Lancet Oncol 16, 763-774.
- Loss of the tumor suppressor spinophilin (PPP1R9B) increases the cancer stem cell population in breast tumors.(2015)
Oncogene (in press).
- Gene expression profile predictive of response to chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancer.(2015)
Oncotarget 6, 6151-6159.
- Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Role of the Immune System and Potential for Immunotherapy.(2015)
J Thorac Oncol 10, 974-984.
- MISSION Trial – A phase III, multi-center, placebo-controlled trial of sorafenib in patients with relapsed or refractory predominantly non-squamous NSCLC after 2 or 3 previous treatment regimens.(2015)
J Thorac Oncol (in press).
- Immunologic checkpoint blockade in lung cancer.(2015)
Semin Oncol 42, 402-417.
- Elevated levels of the complement activation product C4d in bronchial fluids for the diagnosis of lung cancer.(2015)
PLoS ONE 10, e0119878-.
- Association of EGFR L858R Mutation in Circulating Free DNA With Survival in the EURTAC Trial.(2015)
JAMA ONCOLOGY 1, 149-157.
- Treatment for early-stage lung cancer: what next?(2014)
Lancet 383, 1528-1530.
- Dacomitinib versus erlotinib in patients with advanced-stage, previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer (ARCHER 1009): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.(2014)
Lancet Oncol 15, 1369-1378.
- Reply to S. Barni et Al, K.R. Dearing et al, and N. Murray.(2014)
J Clin Oncol 32, 483-485.
- MicroRNA clusters: dysregulation in lung adenocarcinoma and COPD.(2014)
Eur Respir J 43, 1740-1749.
- Final efficacy and safety results of pemetrexed continuation maintenance therapy in the elderly from the PARAMOUNT phase III study.(2014)
J Thorac Oncol 9, 991-997.
- Pooled analysis of clinical outcome for EGFR TKI-treated patients with EGFR mutation-positive NSCLC.(2014)
J Cell Mol Med 18, 1519-1539.
- Afatinib in the treatment of EGFR mutation-positive NSCLC–a network meta-analysis.(2014)
Lung Cancer-J Iaslc 85, 230-238.
- Efficacy and safety of maintenance pemetrexed in patients with advanced nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer following pemetrexed plus cisplatin induction treatment: A cross-trial comparison of two phase III trials.(2014)
Lung Cancer-J Iaslc 285, 408-414.
- MicroRNA-dependent regulation of transcription in non-small cell lung cancer.(2014)
PLoS ONE 9, e90524-.