- Ana Cuadrado
- Dácil del Pilar Alonso
- Magali De Koninck
- Carmen María Morales
Técnicos de Laboratorio
- Daniel Giménez
- Marta Renshaw
- Miriam Rodríguez
Our research focuses on a protein complex named cohesin that embraces DNA to mediate sister chromatid cohesion, a process essential for chromosome segregation and faithful DNA repair by homologous recombination. Cohesin also plays a major role in the spatial organisation of the genome by promoting long-range DNA looping, which in turn contributes to transcriptional regulation. Mutations in cohesin have been found in several tumour types, most prominently in bladder cancer, Ewing sarcoma and acute myeloid leukaemia. Germ line mutations in cohesin and its regulatory factors are also at the origin of human developmental syndromes collectively known as cohesinopathies.
Our goal is to understand how cohesin works, how it is regulated and how its dysfunction contributes to cancer and other human diseases. In particular, we are intrigued by the existence of different versions of the cohesin complex. We use human cells and mouse models carrying knock out alleles of genes encoding variant cohesin subunits to investigate their functional specificity.
- (2019). PDS5 proteins are required for proper cohesin dynamics and participate in replication fork protection. J Biol Chem (in press). Publicación CNIO.
- (2019). Specific Contributions of Cohesin-SA1 and Cohesin-SA2 to TADs and Polycomb Domains in Embryonic Stem Cells.. Cell Reports 27, 3500-3510. Publicación CNIO. Open Access
- (2018). Distinct roles of cohesin-SA1 and cohesin-SA2 in 3D chromosome organization. Nat Struct Mol Biol 25, 496-504. Publicación CNIO.
- (2018). Establishing and dissolving cohesion during the vertebrate cell cycle. Curr Opin Cell Biol 52, 51-57. Publicación CNIO.
- (2018). Persistent accumulation of unrepaired DNA damage in rat cortical neurons: nuclear organization and ChIP-seq analysis of damaged DNA. Acta Neuropathol Commun 6, 68. Publicación CNIO. Open Access
- (2017). The human Cranio Facial Development Protein 1 (Cfdp1) gene encodes a protein required for the maintenance of higher-order chromatin organization. Sci Rep 7, 45022. Publicación CNIO.
- (2017). Bub1 targeting to centromeres is sufficient for Sgo1 recruitment in the absence of kinetochores. Chromosoma 126, 279-286. Publicación CNIO.
- (2016). Cohesin Mutations in Cancer.. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 6, a026476. Publicación CNIO.
- (2016). Sororin loads to the synaptonemal complex central region independently of meiotic cohesin complexes.. EMBO Rep 17, 695-707. Publicación CNIO.
- (2016). Chromatin determinants of the inner-centromere rely on replication factors with functions that impart cohesion.. Oncotarget 7, 67934-67947. Publicación CNIO.
- (2015). The contribution of cohesin-SA1 to gene expression and chromatin architecture in two murine tissues.. Nucleic Acids Res 43, 3056-3067. Publicación CNIO.
- (2015). The distinct functions of CENP-C and CENP-T/W in centromere propagation and function in Xenopus egg extracts.. Nucleus 6, 133-143. Publicación CNIO.
- (2014). Cohesin in cancer: chromosome segregation and beyond.. Nat Rev Cancer 14, 389-393. Publicación CNIO.
- (2014). Could a patient with SMC1A duplication be classified as a human cohesinopathy?. Clin Genet 85, 446-451. Publicación CNIO.