- Mónica Álvarez
- Begoña Hurtado
- Carolina Maestre
- María Salazar
- Carolina Villarroya
- Ana Martins
- José González
- Diego Martínez
- Beatriz Salvador
- Aicha El Bakkali
- Verónica García
- Beatriz Ortigosa
- Elisabet Zapatero
The Cell Division and Cancer Group is interested in deciphering the mechanisms by which cell division and cell proliferation are regulated in mammalian cells. During the last few years, we have used different mouse models to understand the relevance of cell cycle regulators, including cell cycle kinases and phosphatases, as well as of proteins involved in ubiquitin-dependent degradation, in the control of cell division and tissue physiology. Our interests are: i) to understand the basic control mechanisms that regulate the cell division cycle; ii) to characterise the physiological and therapeutic consequences of cell cycle deregulation; iii) understanding the function of microRNAs in stem cell biology and tumour development, and iv) to understand how progenitor cells and cancer stem cells control their self-renewal and proliferative properties. As a final goal, we aim to generate information that may be useful for improving therapeutic strategies against cancer cell proliferation.
- CDK4/6 inhibitors: what is the best cocktail?(2019)
Clin Cancer Res 25, 6-8.
- CDK6 Antagonizes p53-Induced Responses during Tumorigenesis.(2018)
Cancer Discovery 8, 884-897.
- Thrombocytopenia-associated mutations in Ser/Thr kinase MASTL deregulate actin cytoskeleton dynamics in platelets(2018)
J Clin Invest 128, 5351-5367.
- Plk1 overexpression induces chromosomal instability and suppresses tumor development.(2018)
Nat Commun 9, 3012-.
- An E2F7-dependent transcriptional program modulates DNA damage repair and genomic stability.(2018)
Nucleic Acids Res 46, 4546-4559.
- Genetic Interactions between the Aurora Kinases Reveal New Requirements for AURKB and AURKC during Oocyte Meiosis.(2018)
Curr Biol 28, 3458-3468.
- Therapeutic relevance of the PP2A-B55 inhibitory kinase MASTL/Greatwall in breast cancer.(2018)
Cell Death Differ 25, 828-840.
- Biochemical analyses reveal amino acid residues critical for cell cycle-dependent phosphorylation of human Cdc14A phosphatase by cyclin-dependent kinase 1.(2018)
Sci Rep 8, 11871-.
- RNA-Seq reveals the existence of a CDKN1C-E2F1-TP53 axis that is altered in human T-cell lymphoblastic lymphomas.(2018)
Bmc Cancer 18, 430-.
- Two Interlinked Bistable Switches Govern Mitotic Control in Mammalian Cells.(2018)
Curr Biol 28, 3824-3832.
- Álvarez-Fernández M, Sanz-Flores M, Sanz-Castillo B, Salazar-Roa M, Partida D, Zapatero-Solana E, Ali HR, Manchado E, Lowe S, VanArsdale T, Shields D, Caldas C, Quintela-Fandino M, Malumbres M.(2017)
Cell Death Differ (in press).
- Plk1 regulates contraction of postmitotic smooth muscle cells and is required for vascular homeostasis.(2017)
Nat Med 23, 964-974.
- SnapShot: phosphoregulation of mitosis(2017)
Cell 169, 1358-1358e1.
- Fueling the Cell Division Cycle.(2017)
Trends Cell Biol 27, 69-81.
- The anaphase promoting complex impacts repair choice by protecting ubiquitin signaling at DNA damage sites(2017)
Nat Commun 8, 15751-.
- Programmed mitophagy is essential for the glycolytic switch during cell differentiation.(2017)
EMBO J 36, 1688-1706.
- APC/CCdh1 enables removal of shugoshin-2 from the arms of bivalent chromosomes by moderating cyclin-dependent kinase activity(2017)
Curr Biol 27, 1462-1476.
- Non-canonical functions of cell cycle cyclins and cyclin-dependent kinases.(2016)
Nat Rev Mol Cell Bio 17, 280-292.
- CDK4/6 Inhibitors resTORe Therapeutic Sensitivity in HER2(+) Breast Cancer.(2016)
Cancer Cell 29, 243-244.
- Cdh1 regulates craniofacial development via APC-dependent ubiquitination and activation of Goosecoid.(2016)
Cell Res 26, 699-712.
- Aurora A drives early signalling and vesicle dynamics during T-cell activation.(2016)
Nat Communications 7, 11389-.
- E2F7 regulates transcription and maturation of multiple microRNAs to restrain cell proliferation.(2016)
Nucleic Acids Res (in press).
- The cell proliferation antigen Ki-67 organises heterochromatin.(2016)
Elife 5, e13722-.
- An essential role for Ink4 and Cip/Kip cell-cycle inhibitors in preventing replicative stress.(2016)
Cell Death Differ 23, 430-441.
- microRNAs regulate TAL1 expression in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia.(2016)
Oncotarget 7, 8268-8281.
- Cdh1 inhibits WWP2-mediated ubiquitination of PTEN to suppress tumorigenesis in an APC-independent manner.(2016)
Cell Discov 2, 15044-.
- Functional reprogramming of polyploidization in megakaryocytes.(2015)
Dev Cell 32, 155-167.
- AMPK and PFKFB3 mediate glycolysis and survival in response to mitophagy during mitotic arrest.(2015)
Nat Cell Biol 17, 1304-1316.
- A Cdh1-APC/FMRP Ubiquitin Signaling Link Drives mGluR-Dependent Synaptic Plasticity in the Mammalian Brain.(2015)
Neuron 86, 726-739.
- An Atypical Oncogene Within the Atypical E2Fs.(2015)
J Natl Cancer I 107, djv180-.
- Mitophagy in mitosis: more than a myth.(2015)
Autophagy 11, 2379-2380.
- PTEN mediates Notch-dependent stalk cell arrest in angiogenesis.(2015)
Nat Communications 6, 7935-.
- CDK6 as a key regulator of hematopoietic and leukemic stem cell activation.(2015)
Blood 125, 90-101.
- Activation of the endomitotic spindle assembly checkpoint and thrombocytopenia in Plk1-deficient mice.(2015)
Blood 126, 1707-1714.
- Keeping Order in Anaphase.(2015)
Dev Cell 35, 403-404.
- Casein kinase 1d is an APC/C(Cdh1) substrate that regulates cerebellar granule cell neurogenesis.(2015)
Cell Reports 11, 249-260.
- An essential role for Ink4 and Cip/Kip cell-cycle inhibitors in preventing replicative stress.(2015)
Cell Death Differ (in press).
- A link between lipid metabolism and epithelial-mesenchymal transition provides a target for colon cancer therapy.(2015)
Oncotarget 6, 38719-39736.
- Aurora B overexpression causes aneuploidy and p21Cip1 repression during tumor development.(2015)
Mol Cell Biol 35, 3566-3578.
- Deregulated expression of Cdc6 in the skin facilitates papilloma formation and affects the hair growth cycle.(2015)
Cell Cycle 14, 3897-3907.
- A synthetic lethal interaction between APC/C and topoisomerase poisons uncovered by proteomic screens.(2014)
Cell Reports 6, 670-683.
- Lineage-restricted function of the pluripotency factor NANOG in stratified epithelia.(2014)
Nat Communications 5, 4226-.
- A centrosomal route for cancer genome instability.(2014)
Nat Cell Biol 16, 504-506.
- MT5-MMP regulates adult neural stem cell functional quiescence through the cleavage of N-cadherin.(2014)
Nat Cell Biol 16, 629-638.
- Cyclin C surprises in tumour suppression.(2014)
Nat Cell Biol 16, 1031-1033.
- Cyclin-dependent kinases.(2014)
Genome Biol 15, 122-.
- Cdk4 and Cdk6 cooperate in counteracting the INK4 family of inhibitors during murine leukemogenesis.(2014)
Blood 124, 2380-2390.
- Splicing together sister chromatids.(2014)
EMBO J 33, 2601-2603.
- APC(Cdc20) Suppresses Apoptosis through Targeting Bim for Ubiquitination and Destruction.(2014)
Dev Cell 29, 377-391.
- Dependency of the spindle assembly checkpoint on Cdk1 renders the anaphase transition irreversible.(2014)
Curr Biol 24, 630-637.
- Aurora kinase A inhibitors: promising agents in antitumoral therapy.(2014)
Expert Opin Ther Tar 9, 1-17.
- Preparing a cell for nuclear envelope breakdown: Spatio-temporal control of phosphorylation during mitotic entry.(2014)
Bioessays 36, 757-765.
- The functional relevance of polyploidization in the skin(2014)
Exp Dermatol 23, 92-93.
- The Greatwall-PP2A axis in cell cycle control.(2014)
Methods Mol Biol 1170, 99-111.
- A Kinase-Independent Function of CDK6 Links the Cell Cycle to Tumor Angiogenesis.(2013)
Cancer Cell 24, 167-181.
- The aurora B kinase and the polycomb protein ring1B combine to regulate active promoters in quiescent lymphocytes.(2013)
Mol Cell 51, 647-661.
- Low Dose of Amino-Modified Nanoparticles Induces Cell Cycle Arrest.(2013)
ACS Nano 7, 7483-7494.
- The APC/C cofactor Cdh1 prevents replicative stress and p53-dependent cell death in neural progenitors.(2013)
Nat Communications 4, 2880-.
- miRNAs and cancer: an epigenetics view.(2013)
Mol Aspects Med 34, 863-874.
- Greatwall is essential to prevent mitotic collapse after nuclear envelope breakdown in mammals.(2013)
Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110, 17374-17379.
- Requirements for aurora-a in tissue regeneration and tumor development in adult mammals.(2013)
Cancer Res 73, 6804-6815.
- Suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 blocks mitosis in human melanoma cells.(2013)
Cell Mol Life Sci 70, 545-558.
- Mitosis-targeting therapies: a troubleshooting guide.(2013)
Curr Opin Pharmacol 13, 519-528.
- Down-regulation of specific miRNAs enhances the expression of the gene Smoothened and contributes to T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma development.(2013)
Carcinogenesis 34, 902-908.
- Aurora B prevents delayed DNA replication and premature mitotic exit by repressing p21 (Cip1).(2013)
Cell Cycle 12, 1030-1041.
- The E3 ligase APC/C-Cdh1 is required for associative fear memory and long-term potentiation in the amygdala of adult mice.(2013)
Learn Memory 20, 11-20.
- Robust mitotic entry is ensured by a latching switch.(2013)
Biol Open 2, 924-931.
- Novel functions of FoxM1: from molecular mechanisms to cancer therapy.(2013)
Front Oncol 5, 30-.
- MicroRNA-203: tumor suppression and beyond.(2013)
MicroRNA 2, 118-126.