- Maria Dolores Moreno
- Ester Casajús
- Samuel Míguez
- Araceli Grande
Safeguarding genetic information is essential to all forms of life. Two key cellular processes keep it free from errors: DNA replication and repair. Importantly, when they do not work correctly, genetic information may be damaged or lost, ultimately leading to disease. Deregulation and malfunction of the protein machinery that safeguards our genome are a hallmark of cancer, but it remains unclear how this happens at the molecular level. The devil is in the detail, and we aim to understand what and when something goes wrong with these molecular machines, so that we can act on it to correct it as well as to prevent it from happening.
These macromolecules are like real-life machines, with intricate mechanisms that allow them to perform their activities. To understand how they work, we use cryo-electron microscopy and biochemistry in an integrative approach. Beyond fundamental research, this structural information provides the necessary detail for drug development.
- (2021). The selection process of licensing a DNA mismatch for repair.. Nat Struct Mol Biol 28, 373-381. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Polymerization and editing modes of a high-fidelity DNA polymerase are linked by a well-defined path. Nat Commun 11, 5379. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). The cryo-EM Structure of Thermotoga maritima ß-Galactosidase: Quaternary Structure Guides Protein Engineering. ACS Chem Biol 15, 179-188. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Architecture of the mycobacterial type VII secretion system. Nature 576, 321-325. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Structure of full-length human phenylalanine hydroxylase in complex with tetrahydrobiopterin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 116, 11229-11234. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). CREBBP/EP300 Bromodomain Inhibition Affects the Proliferation of AR-Positive Breast Cancer Cell Lines. Mol Cancer Res 13, 720-730. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Emerging Two-Dimensional Crystallization of Cucurbituril Complexes: From Supramolecular Polymers to Nanofibers. J Am Chem Soc 141, 14021-14025. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Characterization of the catalytic flexible loop in the dihydroorotase domain of the human multi-enzymatic protein CAD. J Biol Chem 293, 18903-18913. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Self-correcting mismatches during high-fidelity DNA replication. Nat Struct Mol Biol 24, 140-143. Publication in other institutions.
- (2017). A pipeline approach to single-particle processing in RELION. Acta Crystallogr D 73, 496-502. Publication in other institutions.
- (2016). Structure and Organization of Heteromeric AMPA-type Glutamate Receptors. Science 352, aad3873. Publication in other institutions.
- (2016). Unravelling biological macromolecules with cryo-electron microscopy. Nature 537, 339-346. Publication in other institutions.