- Marta Hergueta
- Laura Nogués
- María Elena Castellano
- María Teresa González
- Alberto Hernández
- Irene Fernández
- Sara Sánchez-Redondo
- Vanesa Santos
Our laboratory aims to understand how the microenvironment impacts metastatic behaviour. Most of the efforts in the past focused on defining intrinsic factors involved in tumour progression and metastasis. However, our interpretation of tumour evolution and metastasis has shifted and currently it is widely accepted that extrinsic factors are actively involved in cancer progression. To tackle this question, our laboratory uses melanoma models to define the role of secreted exosomes in pre-metastatic niche formation and metastasis in the lymph node. In addition, we are exploring the influence of obesity on the metastatic behaviour of melanoma and breast cancer. Finally, we are using novel therapeutic approaches to prevent metastasis in melanoma, lymphoma and malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour metastasis by targeting both intrinsic and extrinsic factors.
- (2020). Extracellular Vesicle and Particle Biomarkers Define Multiple Human Cancers. Cell 182, 1044-1061. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). ITGB3-mediated uptake of small extracellular vesicles facilitates intercellular communication in breast cancer cells. Nat Commun 11, 4261. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). Plasma-derived extracellular vesicles from Plasmodium vivax patients signal spleen fibroblasts via NF-kB facilitating parasite cytoadherence. Nat Commun 11, 2761. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). Proteomic Profiling of Retinoblastoma-Derived Exosomes Reveals Potential Biomarkers of Vitreous Seeding. Cancers 12, E1555. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). A spotlight on cancer researchers in Spain: new paradigms and disruptive ideas. Clin Transl Oncol 22, 798-801. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Platelet factor 4 is a biomarker for lymphatic-promoted disorders.. JCI Insight 5, e135109. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). In vivo CRISPR/Cas9 targeting of fusion oncogenes for selective elimination of cancer cells. Nat Commun 11, 5060. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2020). Neuroblastoma-secreted exosomes carrying miR-375 promote osteogenic differentiation of bone-marrow mesenchymal stromal cells. J Extracell Vesicles 9, 1774144. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). The influence of secreted factors and extracellular vesicles in ovarian cancer metastasis. Ejc Suppl 15, 38-48. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Metabolomic profile of cancer stem cell-derived exosomes from patients with malignant melanoma. Mol Oncol 15, 407-428. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). Use of extracellular vesicles from lymphatic drainage as surrogate markers of melanoma progression and BRAF V600E mutation. J Exp Med 216, 1061-1070. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Small Extracellular Vesicles Are Key Regulators of Non-cell Autonomous Intercellular Communication in Senescence via the Interferon Protein IFITM3.. Cell Reports 27, 3956-3971. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). Abrogation of EMILIN1-ß1 integrin interaction promotes experimental colitis and colon carcinogenesis. Matrix Biol 83, 97-115. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Expression profiles of exosomal miRNAs isolated from plasma of patients with desmoplastic small round cell tumor. Epigenomics 11, 489-500. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Lipid-induced lysosomal damage after demyelination corrupts microglia protective function in lysosomal storage disorders. EMBO J 38, e99553. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Studying the Fate of Tumor Extracellular Vesicles at High Spatiotemporal Resolution Using the Zebrafish Embryo. Dev Cell 48, 554-572. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Tumour exosomal CEMIP protein promotes cancer cell colonization in brain metastasis.. Nat Cell Biol 21, 1403-1412. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Identification of distinct nanoparticles and subsets of extracellular vesicles by asymmetric flow field-flow fractionation. Nat Cell Biol 20, 332-343. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Neutrophils instruct homeostatic and pathological states in naive tissues. J Exp Med 215, 2778-2795. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). The influence of tumour-derived extracellular vesicles on local and distal metastatic dissemination. Mol Aspects Med 60, 15-26. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Evaluation of Endoglin (CD105) expression in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma. Bmc Cancer 18, 31. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2018). Human prostasomes from normozoospermic and non-normozoospermic men show a differential protein expression pattern. Andrology 6, 585-596. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Tumour-adipose tissue crosstalk: fuelling tumour metastasis by extracellular vesicles. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 373, pii: 20160485. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Lysyl oxidase-like 3 is required for melanoma cell survival by maintaining genomic stability. Cell Death Differ 25, 935-950. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Pre-metastatic niches: organ-specific homes for metastases.. Nat Rev Cancer 17, 302-317. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). A proangiogenic signaling axis in myeloid cells promotes malignant progression of glioma. J Clin Invest 127, 1826-1838. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Phagocytosis imprints heterogeneity in tissue-resident macrophages. J Exp Med 214, 1281-1296. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Proteomic Analysis of Neuroblastoma-Derived Exosomes: New Insights into a Metastatic Signature.. Proteomics 17, 23-24. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). A novel community driven software for functional enrichment analysis of extracellular vesicles data. J Extracell Vesicles 6, 1321455. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Extracellular Vesicles in Cancer: Cell-to-Cell Mediators of Metastasis.. Cancer Cell 30, 836-848. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Melanosomes foster a tumour niche by activating CAFs.. Nat Cell Biol 18, 911-913. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Characterization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Microvesicle Genesis, Morphology and Pluripotent Content. Sci Rep 6, 19743. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2016). Vesicle-MaNiA: extracellular vesicles in liquid biopsy and cancer.. Curr Opin Pharmacol 29, 47-53. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Mast cells and exosomes in hyperoxia-induced neonatal lung disease.. Am J Physiol-Lung C 310, L1218-L1232. CNIO Publication.