- Marta Hergueta
- Laura Nogués
- Ana Isabel Amor
- María Teresa González
- Alberto Hernández
- Lucía Robado
- Alicia Teijeira
- Marina Mazariegos
- Sara Sánchez-Redondo
Cancer treatment is no longer only focused on tumour cell analysis. The Microenvironment and Metastasis Group studies the communication between tumour and stromal cells along tumour progression. Cancer treatment requires the analysis of the tumour microenvironment to define specific therapies targeting both the tumour and surrounding cells. Data support that combination of therapies against the tumour and its microenvironment are the future of cancer treatment. In our laboratory, we have focused on understanding the message of a novel ‘language’ between tumour cells and the environment; these are small extracellular vesicles called exosomes. Our data support that tumour-secreted exosomes contain specific signatures of molecules (e.g. proteins, DNA). Exosomes secreted from the tumour can reach metastatic organs and prepare pre-metastatic niche formation, aiding metastatic homing and further metastatic progression.
- (2019). Expression profiles of exosomal miRNAs isolated from plasma of patients with desmoplastic small round cell tumor. Epigenomics (in press).
- (2019). Lipid-induced lysosomal damage after demyelination corrupts microglia protective function in lysosomal storage disorders. EMBO J 38, e99553.
- (2019). Studying the Fate of Tumor Extracellular Vesicles at High Spatiotemporal Resolution Using the Zebrafish Embryo. Dev Cell 48, 554-572.
- (2019). Use of extracellular vesicles from lymphatic drainage as surrogate markers of melanoma progression and BRAF V600E mutation. J Exp Med (in press).
- (2019). Small Extracellular Vesicles Are Key Regulators of Non-cell Autonomous Intercellular Communication in Senescence via the Interferon Protein IFITM3.. Cell Reports 27, 3956-3971.
- (2018). Identification of distinct nanoparticles and subsets of extracellular vesicles by asymmetric flow field-flow fractionation. Nat Cell Biol 20, 332-343.
- (2018). Neutrophils instruct homeostatic and pathological states in naive tissues. J Exp Med 215, 2778-2795.
- (2018). The influence of tumour-derived extracellular vesicles on local and distal metastatic dissemination. Mol Aspects Med 60, 15-26.
- (2018). Evaluation of Endoglin (CD105) expression in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma. Bmc Cancer 18, 31.
- (2018). Human prostasomes from normozoospermic and non-normozoospermic men show a differential protein expression pattern. Andrology 6, 585-596.
- (2018). Tumour-adipose tissue crosstalk: fuelling tumour metastasis by extracellular vesicles. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 373, pii: 20160485.
- (2018). Lysyl oxidase-like 3 is required for melanoma cell survival by maintaining genomic stability. Cell Death Differ 25, 935-950.
- (2017). Pre-metastatic niches: organ-specific homes for metastases.. Nat Rev Cancer 17, 302-317.
- (2017). A proangiogenic signaling axis in myeloid cells promotes malignant progression of glioma.. J Clin Invest 127, 1826-1838.
- (2017). Phagocytosis imprints heterogeneity in tissue-resident macrophages. J Exp Med 214, 1281-1296.
- (2017). Proteomic Analysis of Neuroblastoma-Derived Exosomes: New Insights into a Metastatic Signature.. Proteomics 17, 23-24.
- (2017). A novel community driven software for functional enrichment analysis of extracellular vesicles data.. J Extracell Vesicles 6, 1321455.
- (2016). Extracellular Vesicles in Cancer: Cell-to-Cell Mediators of Metastasis.. Cancer Cell 30, 836-848.
- (2016). Melanosomes foster a tumour niche by activating CAFs.. Nat Cell Biol 18, 911-913.
- (2016). Characterization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Microvesicle Genesis, Morphology and Pluripotent Content.. Sci Rep 6, 19743.
- (2016). Vesicle-MaNiA: extracellular vesicles in liquid biopsy and cancer.. Curr Opin Pharmacol 29, 47-53.
- (2016). Mast cells and exosomes in hyperoxia-induced neonatal lung disease.. Am J Physiol-Lung C 310, L1218-L1232.
- (2015). Tumour exosome integrins determine organotropic metastasis.. Nature 527, 329-335.
- (2015). Pancreatic cancer exosomes initiate pre-metastatic niche formation in the liver.. Nat Cell Biol 17, 816-826.
- (2015). Id1 suppresses anti-tumour immune responses and promotes tumour progression by impairing myeloid cell maturation.. Nat Communications 6, 6840.
- (2015). Lysyl oxidase-like 2 (LOXL2) and E47 EMT factor: novel partners in E-cadherin repression and early metastasis colonization.. Oncogene 34, 951-964.
- (2015). The new deal: a potential role for secreted vesicles in innate immunity and tumor progression.. Front Inmmunol 24, 66.
- (2015). Loss of Snail2 favors skin tumor progression by promoting the recruitment of myeloid progenitors.. Carcinogenesis 36, 585-597.
- (2015). FunRich proteomics software analysis, let the fun begin!. Proteomics 15, 2555-2556.
- (2014). Gasdermin-B promotes invasion and metastasis in breast cancer cells.. PLoS ONE 9, e90099.
- (2014). Macromolecular crowding meets tissue engineering by self-assembly: a paradigm shift in regenerative medicine.. Adv Mater 26, 3024-3034.
- (2014). Double-stranded DNA in exosomes: a novel biomarker in cancer detection.. Cell Res 24, 766-769.
- (2014). Lysyl oxidase-like 2 (LOXL2) and E47 EMT factor: novel partners in E-cadherin repression and early metastasis colonization.. Oncogene (in press).
- (2013). The perivascular niche regulates breast tumour dormancy.. Nat Cell Biol 15, 807-817.
- (2013). Mutation of SIMPLE in Charcot-Marie-Tooth 1C alters production of exosomes.. Mol Biol Cell 24, 1619-1637.
- (2013). E47 and Id1 interplay in epithelial-mesenchymal transition.. PLoS ONE 8, e59948.