- Marta Hergueta
- Laura Nogués
- María Elena Castellano
- María Teresa González
- Alberto Hernández
- Lucía Robado
- Sara Sánchez-Redondo
- Vanesa Santos
Cancer treatment is no longer only focused on tumour cell analysis. The Microenvironment and Metastasis Group studies the communication between tumour and stromal cells along tumour progression. Cancer treatment requires the analysis of the tumour microenvironment to define specific therapies targeting both the tumour and surrounding cells. Data support that combination of therapies against the tumour and its microenvironment are the future of cancer treatment. In our laboratory, we have focused on understanding the message of a novel ‘language’ between tumour cells and the environment; these are small extracellular vesicles called exosomes. Our data support that tumour-secreted exosomes contain specific signatures of molecules (e.g. proteins, DNA). Exosomes secreted from the tumour can reach metastatic organs and prepare pre-metastatic niche formation, aiding metastatic homing and further metastatic progression.
- (2019). Use of extracellular vesicles from lymphatic drainage as surrogate markers of melanoma progression and BRAF V600E mutation. J Exp Med 216, 1061. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Small Extracellular Vesicles Are Key Regulators of Non-cell Autonomous Intercellular Communication in Senescence via the Interferon Protein IFITM3.. Cell Reports 27, 3956-3971. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). Abrogation of EMILIN1-ß1 integrin interaction promotes experimental colitis and colon carcinogenesis. Matrix Biol 83, 97-115. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Expression profiles of exosomal miRNAs isolated from plasma of patients with desmoplastic small round cell tumor. Epigenomics 11, 489-500. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Lipid-induced lysosomal damage after demyelination corrupts microglia protective function in lysosomal storage disorders. EMBO J 38, e99553. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Studying the Fate of Tumor Extracellular Vesicles at High Spatiotemporal Resolution Using the Zebrafish Embryo. Dev Cell 48, 554-572. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Tumour exosomal CEMIP protein promotes cancer cell colonization in brain metastasis.. Nat Cell Biol 21, 1403-1412. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Identification of distinct nanoparticles and subsets of extracellular vesicles by asymmetric flow field-flow fractionation. Nat Cell Biol 20, 332-343. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Neutrophils instruct homeostatic and pathological states in naive tissues. J Exp Med 215, 2778-2795. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). The influence of tumour-derived extracellular vesicles on local and distal metastatic dissemination. Mol Aspects Med 60, 15-26. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Evaluation of Endoglin (CD105) expression in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma. Bmc Cancer 18, 31. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2018). Human prostasomes from normozoospermic and non-normozoospermic men show a differential protein expression pattern. Andrology 6, 585-596. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Tumour-adipose tissue crosstalk: fuelling tumour metastasis by extracellular vesicles. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 373, pii: 20160485. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Lysyl oxidase-like 3 is required for melanoma cell survival by maintaining genomic stability. Cell Death Differ 25, 935-950. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Pre-metastatic niches: organ-specific homes for metastases.. Nat Rev Cancer 17, 302-317. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). A proangiogenic signaling axis in myeloid cells promotes malignant progression of glioma. J Clin Invest 127, 1826-1838. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Phagocytosis imprints heterogeneity in tissue-resident macrophages. J Exp Med 214, 1281-1296. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Proteomic Analysis of Neuroblastoma-Derived Exosomes: New Insights into a Metastatic Signature.. Proteomics 17, 23-24. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). A novel community driven software for functional enrichment analysis of extracellular vesicles data. J Extracell Vesicles 6, 1321455. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Extracellular Vesicles in Cancer: Cell-to-Cell Mediators of Metastasis.. Cancer Cell 30, 836-848. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Melanosomes foster a tumour niche by activating CAFs.. Nat Cell Biol 18, 911-913. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Characterization of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Microvesicle Genesis, Morphology and Pluripotent Content. Sci Rep 6, 19743. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2016). Vesicle-MaNiA: extracellular vesicles in liquid biopsy and cancer.. Curr Opin Pharmacol 29, 47-53. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Mast cells and exosomes in hyperoxia-induced neonatal lung disease.. Am J Physiol-Lung C 310, L1218-L1232. CNIO Publication.
- (2015). Tumour exosome integrins determine organotropic metastasis.. Nature 527, 329-335. CNIO Publication.
- (2015). Pancreatic cancer exosomes initiate pre-metastatic niche formation in the liver.. Nat Cell Biol 17, 816-826. CNIO Publication.
- (2015). Id1 suppresses anti-tumour immune responses and promotes tumour progression by impairing myeloid cell maturation.. Nat Communications 6, 6840. CNIO Publication.
- (2015). Lysyl oxidase-like 2 (LOXL2) and E47 EMT factor: novel partners in E-cadherin repression and early metastasis colonization.. Oncogene 34, 951-964. CNIO Publication.
- (2015). The new deal: a potential role for secreted vesicles in innate immunity and tumor progression.. Front Inmmunol 24, 66. CNIO Publication.
- (2015). Loss of Snail2 favors skin tumor progression by promoting the recruitment of myeloid progenitors.. Carcinogenesis 36, 585-597. CNIO Publication.
- (2015). FunRich proteomics software analysis, let the fun begin!. Proteomics 15, 2555-2556. CNIO Publication.