- Nuria Gago
- David Olmeda
- Susana Frago
- María Magdalena Leal
- Adriana Sanna
- Xavier Catena
- Marta Contreras
- Naiara Juan
- Sergio Oterino
- Thelma Poluha
- Cristina Tejedo
- Tonantzin Guadalupe Calvo
- Cynthia Mucientes
- Mireia Vallespinós
Melanomas are the only tumours where lesions barely over one millimetre in depth can be at risk for metastasis. An increasing number of (epi)genetic alterations and mechanisms of immune evasion have been identified in this disease. Nevertheless, no molecular biomarker has been approved as a bona fide prognostic indicator. The field is also in need of improved treatments, as a significant fraction of patients is resistant to targeted and immune-based therapies. The long-term goal of our Group is to identify new progression biomarkers and anticancer agents. We are particularly interested in defining lineage-specific vulnerabilities that distinguish melanomas from other tumours with lower metastatic potential (publications in Nature, Cancer Cell, Nature Cell Biology, Nature Communications, among others). Our laboratory has also generated first-in-class lymphoreporter mice for non-invasive imaging of pre-metastatic niches in melanoma (Nature) and has identified actionable immune suppressive mechanisms with implications for patient treatment (Nature Medicine). Our ultimate objective is to improve the management of patients with otherwise refractory metastatic melanomas.
- (2021). Melanoma models for the next generation of therapies. Cancer Cell (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2021). The State of Melanoma: Emergent Challenges and Opportunities. Clin Cancer Res 27, 2678-2697. CNIO Publication.
- (2021). Physiological models for in vivo imaging and targeting the lymphatic system: Nanoparticles and extracellular vesicles. Adv Drug Deliver Rev 175, 113833. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Lymph: (Fe)rrying Melanoma to Safety. Cancer Cell 38, 446-448. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Midkine rewires the melanoma microenvironment toward a tolerogenic and immune-resistant state. Nat Med 26, 1865-1877. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). p62/SQSTM1 Fuels Melanoma Progression by Opposing mRNA Decay of a Selective Set of Pro-metastatic Factors. Cancer Cell 35, 46-63. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). p62/SQSTM1 Fuels Melanoma Progression by Opposing mRNA Decay of a Selective Set of Pro-metastatic Factors.. Cancer Cell 35, 46-63. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). KLF9-dependent ROS regulate melanoma progression in stage-specific manner. Oncogene 38, 3585-3597. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Antimetastatic dsRNA mimics identified by live imaging of pathogenic neolymphangiogenes. BioRivx (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2018). CD38 promotes pristane-induced chronic inflammation and increases susceptibility to experimental lupus by an apoptosis-driven and TRPM2-dependent mechanism. Sci Rep 8, 3357. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2017). Systems analysis identifies melanoma-enriched pro-oncogenic networks controlled by the RNA binding protein CELF1. Nat Commun 8, 2249. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2017). Whole-body imaging of lymphovascular niches identifies pre-metastatic roles of midkine.. Nature 546, 676-680. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Location, Location, Location: Spatio-Temporal Cues That Define the Cell of Origin in Melanoma. Cell Stem Cell 21, 559-561. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). TYRP1 mRNA goes fishing for miRNAs in melanoma.. Nat Cell Biol 19, 1311-1312. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). ATG5 mediates a positive feedback loop between Wnt signaling and autophagy in melanoma.. Cancer Res 77, 5873-5885. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). DEK oncogene is overexpressed during melanoma progression.. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 30, 194-202. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Lineage-specific roles of the cytoplasmic polyadenylation factor CPEB4 in the regulation of melanoma drivers. Nat Commun 7, 13418. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2016). UNR/CSDE1 Drives a Post-transcriptional Program to Promote Melanoma Invasion and Metastasis.. Cancer Cell 30, 694-707. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). TRANSAUTOPHAGY: European network for multidisciplinary research and translation of autophagy knowledge.. Autophagy 12, 614-617. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). The nuclear corepressor 1 and the thyroid hormone receptor ß suppress breast tumor lymphangiogenesis. Oncotarget 7, 78971-78984. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). The state of melanoma: challenges and opportunities.. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 29, 404-416. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Vesicular trafficking mechanisms in endothelial cells as modulators of the tumor vasculature and targets of antiangiogenic therapies.. FEBS J 283, 25-38. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Evaluation of the antiproliferative, proapoptotic, and antiangiogenic effects of a double-stranded RNA mimic complexed with polycations in an experimental mouse model of leiomyoma.. Fertil Steril 105, 529-538. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Understanding Tumor-Antigen Presentation in the New Era of Cancer Immunotherapy.. Curr Pharm Design 22, 6234-6250. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Metastatic risk and resistance to BRAF inhibitors in melanoma defined by selective allelic loss of ATG5.. Autophagy 12, 1776-1790. CNIO Publication.