- Mariam Al-Masmudi
- Lluis Cordón
- Neibla Priego
- Laura Adriana Álvaro
- Ana De Pablos
- Pedro García
- Lucía Zhu
- María Isabel García
- Lauritz Miarka
- María Perea
- Diana Patricia Retana
Brain metastasis is the most common neurological complication of cancer. When metastatic cells reach the brain, prognosis is poor given that local therapies (i.e. surgery and radiation) have limited benefits for patients and the disease inevitably progresses. The rise in the number of patients with brain metastasis is partially due to the increasing number of systemic therapies that work extra-cranially but that are unable to provide the same therapeutic benefit in the brain. Consequently, cancer cells present at this secondary site have additional time to evolve and to grow into clinically detectable lesions. In the laboratory, we study how cells from different cancer types (breast cancer, lung cancer and melanoma) are able to access the brain, survive and colonise this vital organ. We dissect the biology of these processes in vivo using experimental models in order to challenge the current status of this unmet clinical need.
- (2020). A spotlight on cancer researchers in Spain: new paradigms and disruptive ideas. Clin Transl Oncol 22, 798-801. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Universal scaling laws rule explosive growth in human cancers.. Nat Phys 16, 1232-1237. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Breaking down the wall: the strategic plan of cancer to conquer the brain.. Epilepsy Curr (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Brain metastasis. Nat Rev Cancer 20, 4-11. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). An Inbred Ecosystem that Supports Medulloblastoma.. Immunity 52, 431-433. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Brain Metastasis Cell Lines Panel: A Public Resource of Organotropic Cell Lines. Cancer Res 80, 4134-4323. CNIO Publication.
- (2020). Vascular Co-Option in Brain Metastasis. ANGIOGENESIS 23, 3-8. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). Transcriptomic Hallmarks of Tumor Plasticity and Stromal Interactions in Brain Metastasis. Cell Reports 27, 1277-1292. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). The Potential of Astrocytes as Immune Modulators in Brain Tumors.. Front Inmmunol 10, 1314. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2019). Author Correction: Pericyte-like spreading by disseminated cancer cells activates YAP and MRTF for metastatic colonization. Nat Cell Biol 21, 480. CNIO Publication.
- (2019). A spotlight on cancer researchers in Spain: new paradigms and disruptive ideas. Clin Transl Oncol (in press). CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Pericyte-like spreading by disseminated cancer cells activates YAP and MRTF for metastatic colonization. Nat Cell Biol 20, 966-978. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). T lymphocytes facilitate brain metastasis of breast cancer by inducing Guanylate-Binding Protein 1 expression. Acta Neuropathol 135, 581-599. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Silibinin is a direct inhibitor of STAT3. Food Chem Toxicol 116, 161-172. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). Recent advances in the biology and treatment of brain metastases of non-small cell lung cancer: summary of a multidisciplinary roundtable discussion. ESMO OPEN 3, e000262. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). The Evolving Landscape of Brain Metastasis. Trends in Cancer 4, 176-196. CNIO Publication.
- (2018). STAT3 labels a subpopulation of reactive astrocytes required for brain metastasis. Nat Med 24, 1024-1035. CNIO Publication.
- (2017). Neuregulin 3 Mediates Cortical Plate Invasion and Laminar Allocation of GABAergic Interneurons. Cell Reports 18, 1157-1170. CNIO Publication. Open Access
- (2017). Reactive Astrocytes in Brain Metastasis. Front Oncol 7, 298. CNIO Publication.
- (2016). Carcinoma-astrocyte gap junctions promote brain metastasis by cGAMP transfer.. Nature 533, 493-498. Publication in other institutions.