Unit Leader: Luís Lombardía
- DNA/RNA Requirements
- DNA and RNA can be sent. Minimum 5 micrograms.
- RNA samples should be treated with DNAse I to remove any DNA contamination.
- Specimens should be shipped refrigerated (4ºC) or frozen.
- Peripheral Blood Requirements/Bone Marrow Requirements
- Draw whole blood in EDTA tube (lavender top). Blood: 5-20 ml for adults; Bone marrow: 2-3 ml.
- Ship specimen at room temperature. The tissue should be delivered within 6 hours of extraction.
- Overnight shipments of specimens should be refrigerated (maximum 16 hours of extraction).
- Tissue Requirements
Timely delivery/notification is essential. Please call for all incoming specimens.
- Tissue requirements:
- For paraffin blocks, please send the entire block and a Hematoxylin and Eosin (H&E) stained slide.
- For tissue sections, please send 10 unstained 4-micron formalin fixed paraffin-embedded tissue sections on electrostatically charged slides containing representative tumor.
- Tissue specimens should be shipped at room temperature.
- Special Requirements: For MSI studies 10 formalin fixed paraffin-embedded tissue sections (4-micron) are required along with 4.0 ml of EDTA peripheral blood or normal tissue from the same patient.
The quality and accuracy of laboratory test results are highly dependent on
proper specimen collection, handling and transportation. In case of an
appropriate system of collection and transport is not available, we can provide
it to the Service that requires it.
The containers used must be hermetic and correctly labeled, indicating type of
sample, anatomical origin, patient’s full name, number of identification, and
date and hour of extraction.
A printed copy of the request form should go together with the specimens:
Unidad de Investigación Clínica de Diagnóstico Molecular Laboratorio 306A
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3 E
The following guidelines will help insure the integrity of each specimen
collected and forwarded to CNIO for testing:
The samples must be sent in suitable containers that assure their integrity
during the transport.
- The sample must be included in a primary container that must be hermetic and
correctly labeled, indicating type of sample, patient full name, patient
identification number, and date and hour of the extraction. Do not include sharp
elements like Needles, etc
- The primary container must be protected in a suitable physical protector for the
- bubble paper in the case of shipments at room temperature.
- plastic bag for shipments with dry ice.
- The primary container must be included in a secondary container that could be of
cardboard, plastic, etc., which must be correctly labelled with the data of the
petitioner and the addressee (CNIO).
- Enclose the request form and all the needed information
Specimen Rejection Criteria
The specimens will be inspected at arrival to verify their adjustment to the
requirements specified in this document. The Molecular Diagnostic Service will
notify the ordering facility of any deficiencies or test cancellations. Listed
below are the common causes for test cancellation:
- Missing patient identification (name/ID number)
- Inappropriate sample for the study requested.
- Missing collection time or date
- No sample origin
- Incorrectly filled or illegible request form.
- Frozen whole blood specimens
- Specimen not shipped in required conditions
- Broken containers/tubes
- Clotted specimens
- Insufficient volume (QNS)
Request Form Filling Instructions
In the request
form they must appear all the necessary data for the identification of the
sample and complete information on the patient, the specimen and the studies
requested. In summary, the
must include (with legible characters) the following information:
- Last Name
- Date of birth
- Social Security # / Insurance company and policy #
- Clinical History number
- Last Name
- Address to send the report
- Hospital / Company
- Unit / Department
- Sample type
- Anatomic site where the sample was taken
- Method of sample extraction
- Date and time of extraction
- Test requested
- Diagnostic (do not use acronyms)
- Other clinical data
- Actual treatment (specify if not getting any)
Timely delivery/notification is essential. Please call for all incoming specimens (917 328 052).