- Lymph node specimens should not be held overnight.
- Place fresh specimens in sterile saline or in a tube containing Hanks Balanced Salt Solution or PBS and Gentamycin. The tissue should be delivered within 6 hours of removal.
- Same day shipments of fresh solid tumor specimens should be kept at room temperature until shipped.
- Overnight shipments of fresh solid tumor specimens should be refrigerated. DO NOT FREEZE!
Please send the most viable-appearing portion of the specimen
Necrotic tissue and blood in the specimen hinder the growth of the viable cells in culture.
- For chromosomes, please send 1 cm square tissue when possible.
- For FISH on paraffin blocks, please send the entire block and a Hematoxylin and Eosin (H&E) stained slide, or 10 unstained 4 micron formalin fixed paraffin-embedded tissue sections on electrostatically charged slides containing representative tumor.
For FISH on touch-prep, please make a fresh cut of the fresh or frozen lymph node. Gently touch the fresh cut surface (several times) to the center of the clean slide. Label the slides with the case identifiers. Allow the slide to air-dry. Place in a covered container to prevent damage to the specimen side of the slide.