Structural Biology and Biocomputing Programme
National Bioinformatics Institute Unit
The Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (Instituto Nacional de Bioinformática, INB
) is a programme of the National Infrastructure of Biomolecular and Bioinformatics Resources Platform (Plataforma en Red de Recursos Biomoleculares y Bioinformáticos, PRB2
). The INB itself is also the Spanish Node of the European Bioinformatics Infrastructure ELIXIR. The INB is organised as a network composed of 10 nodes distributed across 9 centres. The INB Unit at the CNIO is the Central Node of the network. As a Central Node, the main goals of the INB Unit are to:
- Coordinate the activities of the Institute.
- Design (with the support of all the nodes) the INB scientific/ technical programme and to ensure its execution.
- Design (with the support of all the nodes) the INB training programme.
- Coordinate the participation of Spain in ELIXIR.
- Mediate the collaboration between the INB and third parties including: National and International research consortia, other infrastructures, SMEs and the Industry.
The INB Unit differs from the other Units in the Structural Biology and Biocomputing Programme in the sense that its offering is not restricted to the CNIO Groups, and that its budget is funded entirely by an external agency, the ISCIII.